Courthouse celebrates 125 years on June 14
In this vintage postcard of the historic Livingston County Courthouse, there are hitching posts along Grand River Avenue, rather than the parking spots of today.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Livingston County Courthouse is celebrating its 125th anniversary from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 14.
Designed by famed Detroit architect Albert E. French, the courthouse was built in 1889. The Richardsonian Romanesque building is also a Michigan Registered Historic Site. The courthouse, which sits in the middle of Howell’s historic downtown, is built of brick, Ohio blue stone, and slate.
A bond issue funded the renovation of the courthouse. William Kessler and Associates was commissioned in 1975 to do the work, which included restoring the oak woodwork, braze hardware and marble floors, as well as the recreation of original colors and decorative paintings.
The celebration program begins at 10 a.m., and the public is invited to take tours of the courthouse and enjoy ice cream from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.