Home » News » Chamber news » Joining the Heart Hunt Challenge could save a life

Joining the Heart Hunt Challenge could save a life

HHIconType_tvv49cEvery year, approximately 100 people in Livingston County die from Sudden Cardiac Arrest, which is the sudden, unexpected loss of heart function, breathing and consciousness. Sudden Cardiac Arrest usually results from an electrical disturbance in the heart that disrupts its pumping action, stopping blood flow to the rest of your body, and 90 percent of victims die due to the lack of a quick medical response. For each minute defibrillation is delayed, the chance of survival is reduced approximately 10 percent. Studies show the swift use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and CPR can improve a victim’s chance of survival by 50 percent.

Leadership Livingston Class of 2015 would like to help prevent deaths from Sudden Cardiac Arrest and is inviting the community to participate in the Heart Hunt, a county-wide effort to locate and map all the AEDs in locations accessible by the public. With assistance from the Livingston County EMS, the results of the hunt will create a map showing all the device locations and subsequently the areas where there are not enough AEDs.

The Heart Hunters will also load the AED location in a free cell phone app which is designed to allow first responders to quickly find an AED for use during the rescue of a victim of Sudden Cardiac Arrest.

Leadership Livingston class of 2015 is raising money to purchase AEDs to place in county gap areas. Through a grant from the Livingston County Community Foundation, they are able to match donations up to $10,000 to purchase needed AEDs. Sponsorships for new AEDs will also be available.

The Heart Hunt will take place Feb. 7-21, 2015. Volunteers (16 years and older) will need an Android phone or iPhone, and will participate in teams throughout Livingston County.

How can you get involved?

1. Go to Hearthunt.org and sign up to take part in the hunt or call 517-295-4009.

2. To report an AED location, e-mail join@hearthunt.org

3. Help us purchase additional AEDs with your donation. Go to www.hearthunt.org to donate or send your check to Cleary University, Attn.: Grace Farley, 3750 Cleary Drive, Howell, MI 48843. Put AED in the subject line.

Leadership Livingston is a series of sessions designed to expand the leadership potential existing in Livingston County. The program was initiated by Cleary University and the Brighton and Howell Chambers of Commerce in 1992, and is modeled after similar leadership development programs operating successfully across the country. It is designed to bring together individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who have demonstrated a talent for and a commitment to leadership. More information: http://www.cleary.edu/leadership-livingston/index.aspx

The Community Foundation for Livingston County, established in 1991, is a permanent charitable endowment created to benefit the residents of Livingston County. Its mission is to support and improve the county’s quality of life. The Community Foundation is building community capital through contributions from individuals, businesses and foundations so the charitable needs of Livingston County can be met, today and in the future. The Community Foundation for Livingston County is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan.

Leave a Reply