Start Up Weekend aims to help launch new businesses
Startup Weekend is coming to Howell Oct. 16-18 to help entrepreneurs with great business ideas. The weekend event is taking place at First National Bank, 101 E. Grand River Ave. in the heart of downtown Howell.
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. The weekend events are centered on action, innovation, and education. Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos to a panel of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. Participants are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks.
Half of the attendees of Startup Weekends have technical backgrounds (developers, coders, designers) and half come from business (marketing, finance, law). Twenty nine percent attend an event to network, 20 per cent to develop/build a product, and 13 per cent to learn how to create a new venture. Roughly 80 per cent of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
What you’ll get out of the event:
• Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
• Co-founder dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
• Build your network: Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs- like you!
• Learn new skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
• Learn how to launch a business (and actually do it!): Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
• Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
• Get access to valuable startup resources: By participating in Startup Weekend you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
• Save money: Startup Weekends are affordable (typically $99, only $50 for students). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink.
For more information (including registration), click here. Chamber members can use the HALFOFF promotional code for registration.